After hibernating throughout the winter months, the arrival of summer in Australia is a much-anticipated time of year. It conjures images of beach days, backyard barbies and drinks that last long into warm, summer nights. And when the temperature heats up, nothing goes down better than a refreshing drink. While an ice-cold beer or cider on a scorching summer day really hits the spot, there’s nothing quite as satisfying as mixing and enjoying a cocktail as you tune in to the sounds of an Aussie summer — buzzing cicadas, chirping crickets and the warbling song of backyard magpies.
In this blog, we’ll take you through some of the best cocktail recipes for an Aussie summer. Here are our simple yet satisfying summer spirits recipes you can easily make at home.
1. Cherry Rosé Sangria
Christmas in Australia means fresh, ripe, red cherries. Whether enjoyed on their own, used as a pavlova topping or added to a fresh, summer cocktail, you can never go wrong with Australian cherries. Try this spin on sangria to make the most of cherry season and whip up this easy summer drink for yourself.
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups of pitted cherries
- 1 bottle of dry rosé
- ¼ cup cherry liqueur
- 6 dashes cherry bitters
- 1L soda water
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir until all the sugar has dissolved. Now you have your syrup.
- In a large jug or pitcher, add the pitted cherries and pour over the syrup. Let it stand for a few minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients to the jug except for the soda water and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, add the club soda to the jug with ice. Pour into glasses to serve.
2. Tommy’s Margarita
The ultimate summer drink for your next party, you can’t go wrong with a tequila-based Tommy’s Margarita. Made famous by Tommy’s Mexican Restaurant in the States, this is a classic tequila cocktail that has enjoyed enduring popularity.
- 50 ml blanco tequila
- 15 ml agave syrup
- 30 ml fresh lime juice
- Fresh lime
- Combine all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake, shake, shake.
- Strain into a glass and serve with a wedge of fresh lime.
3. Chilli Mojito
A cooling, rum-based cocktail with a chilli hit for extra punch, this is the best summer cocktail for spice lovers. This is an easy summer drink recipe you can sip and enjoy by yourself or share with friends.
- 60 ml white rum
- 12 ml fresh lime juice
- 12 ml simple syrup
- Soda water
- 2 to 3 slices of red chilli
- Mint leaves
- Bruise the chilli in the bottom of a tall highball glass.
- Add the rum, lime juice, and simple syrup, then stir.
- Add ice and soda water and lightly stir. Garnish with mint leaves and extra chillies if you’re feeling particularly spicy.
4. Watermelon and vodka cocktail
The fresh, sweet taste of watermelon is synonymous with summer. So what could make a watermelon summer drink better? Vodka, of course. This refreshing summer drink recipe is simple but delightful, and perfect for warm summer evenings.
- ½ a watermelon (or enough to make at least 2 cups of watermelon juice)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ½ cup vodka
- 1 tablespoon simple syrup
- Cut the watermelon into cubes then throw them into a blender to make the juice. Pour the juice through a fine strainer into a large jug.
- Add 1 cup of watermelon juice to a cocktail shaker, plus vodka, lime juice, simple syrup and ice and shake.
- Serve with a wedge of fresh watermelon.
5. Tom Collins with cucumber
What could be better than a cool cucumber cocktail on a hot summer’s day? Simple to make but offering instant refreshment, this slightly different take on a gin-based Tom Collins makes it one of the best summer drinks to beat the heat.
- 30 ml gin
- 20 ml elderflower liqueur
- 20 ml fresh lemon juice
- 100 ml soda water
- Thin cucumber slices
- Pour everything except the soda water and cucumber slices into a tall glass and stir together.
- Fill the glass with ice, then pour over soda water.
- Garnish with cucumber slices.
6. Jamaican Rum Punch
For true vacation vibes, try this fruity rum punch recipe. Put your feet up and relax — you’ll feel as if you’re kicking back on a sandy beach once you start sipping this rum-based summer cocktail.
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ cup light rum
- ½ cup dark rum
- ¼ cup coconut rum
- ½ cup grenadine
- Your choice of fruit
- Add all the ingredients into a large jug or pitcher and stir.
- Pour into ice-filled glasses and top with fruit garnishes — think cherries and thin slices of pineapple and orange.
7. Pomegranate and prosecco spritzer
Who can say no to a sweet and fruity spritzer on a hot summer day? Spritzers are perfect for warm days and nights, whether you’re out for brunch or you’re hosting a dinner party. This refreshing summer drink recipe is perfect for sharing.
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 tbsp rosewater
- 1 cup soda water
- 3 cups of prosecco
- Rose petals
- First, remove the seeds from the pomegranate. Cut the pomegranate into small chunks and blend it to make the juice.
- Add the pomegranate juice and rosewater to a large jug and stir.
- Add in the soda water and prosecco and continue to stir.
- Then, add the pomegranate seeds and rose petals and stir. Pour into ice-filled glasses to serve.
8. Irish Mule
If you think whisky is only for the cooler season, then think again. Whisky is incredibly versatile and there is an array of absolutely fantastic summer whisky drinks that can be enjoyed all summer long. The Irish Mule is a take on the Moscow Mule, so instead of using vodka, you use your favourite Irish whisky. This is a surprisingly refreshing summer drink thanks to the added spice of fresh ginger combined with the sweet and sour flavours of ginger beer and lime juice.
- 60 ml Irish whiskey
- 180 ml ginger beer
- 15 ml lime juice
- 2 pieces of fresh ginger
- Lime wedges
- Muddle the ginger in a shaker, then add the whisky and lime juice.
- Shake, then strain the ingredients into an ice-filled glass.
- Top up with ginger beer and garnish with lime and mint.
Get ready for summer with Good Drop
Are you ready to stock up your home bar supplies in time for summer? At GoodDrop, we proudly stock a wide range of alcoholic drinks and spirits you can use to whip up some of the best summer cocktail recipes. Can’t wait to start shaking?
Remember... if you live in the Illawarra region between postcodes 2508-2533 Otford to Kiama and you order your supplies before 11am M-F then Australia Post can deliver direct to you next business day!